Baby Mats of the 2020's

 

https://youtu.be/Us7vt89t_rM


My family and extended family are having babies, making us grandparents.  When we ask what we can do or make for the new additions, we are discovering new trends that we never would have guessed.  One trend that seems to be shocking to my generation is the “no blanket till 1” trend.  We, my family, are working at getting on board with that, asking for patience and grace from our younger family members, and trying to be creative with our gifting.  Honestly, it was hard to wrap my head around that concept, no blankie?  No quilt from grandma’s and aunties? 

So, this is where the Mat comes in, babies are sleeping in cribs, co-sleepers, without blankets, but laying on mats.  I realize that mats are versatile, they can be used during the day and night.  A nice place to put down for sleeping, changing a diaper, or tummy-time…. if that is still ok….I will have to look that up…ugh!


Top Fabric:  I bought a bolt of gender-neutral animal print fabric.  I found a bolt at my local craft store, took a picture for my daughter and sent it to her for approval.  Since the mats will be for her Child Development Center, I wanted for these mats to be inclusive yet fun.  From the bolt that I bought, I was able to make 7 mats total that were 44” wide and 60” long.  My bolt was just under 12 yards so it was a short bold.  Usually, you can buy a full bolt at 15 yards.  


Stitching Choices

Quilt Stitching: My fun creative window for this project was that each mat had a different stitch 

pattern and I used a different color of thread on each mat.  So, on the back of each mat, because of the 

thread color that stands out and the neutral backing fabric color, the stitch design can easily be seen.  I 

wanted to stitch animals for the children who would be using the mats, so they would have a fun 

element of discovery.  My stitch choices for this project, all except for one, were from Kim Diamond’s 

Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio.


-Elephant Pano Heritage (circus elephants) in medium gray long-arm weight thread

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/elephant-pano-p-2702.html


 

I love how the fish pattern nestles so well with each row.  Below is the entire quilt stitching that I planned out before stitching it out.  It reminds me of my childhood because it's playful and fun.

 -Blue fish pano 002Quartz in medium blue long-arm weigh                                         https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/blue-fish-pano-002-p-15148.html



I love this series of "Farm Life" stitch patterns.  #4 mainly depicts chicken on the farm.  My daughter who got all 7 Baby-Mats for the Child Development Center where she works, also has chickens at home.  It’s legal in the city where we live to have chickens, so many people do.  I thought the children who will use these mats, might like to see chickens too.

-Ride into the Sunset 4 Signature (chicken farm)  in bright orange long-arm weight thread 

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/ride-into-the-sunset-p-3487.html




During the last 3 years, since we were all at home so much, my husband took up bee keeping.  Our 

grandchildren have been interested in this new hobby too.  He even got a complete kid size bee-keeper 

suit for them to try on.  The bees have done an amazing job of pollinating the gardens that everyone 

grew in our neighborhood.  The best new yet is that no one got stung and we got to sample the honey!

-Bumble bees Heritage   in bright yellow long-arm weight thread

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/bumble-bees-p-2663.html






It is true, there are no turtles in the printed side of this quilt.  My husband and I went to Hawaii for the 

first time, four years ago.  When we came home, I asked Kim Diamond if she could make sea turtles 

swimming in the ocean water.  She combined sea turtles with her popular Class Curls stitch pattern and 

it was perfect!  I have used this stitching pattern several times and also wanted to use it here on these 

baby mats!  I was so pleased on how the turned out!

-Classy curls turtle pano 001  Coral   in medium teal long-arm weight thread

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/classy-curls-turtle-pano-001-p-22528.html


I really wanted to include a horse pattern to these series of mats for the children at the Child Development Center where my daughter works.  No, there are no horses in the printed bolt.  I wanted to see the Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio’s pattern stitched out, and took a chance that someone there would be a horse lover.  I loved this pattern and how it nestled well in a repeated row.  It also had Long Horns and trees so you get a sense of the forest or countryside where the horses were running. 

 -Ride into the sunset 5  Signature  in medium brown long-arm weight thread

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/ride-into-the-sunset-p-3486.html


Lastly, Dragonflies!!



































This Dragon Fly pattern came with my Gammill Statler Creative Studio’s updated programing.  I just loved how it looked on screen and wanted to see this pattern stitched out too.  The dragon flies are playful and round and appear to be quickly moving in flight.  I am including the pattern link below if you are also loving this pattern. 

-Dragonfly e2e Database ID: 17297  that came with my Creative Studios Statler Stitcher

in slate green long-arm weight thread


 I believe every quilt deserves to be completed.  Sometimes we find quilts in garage sales, antique stores, or thrift stores.  Some times they are in our attics from a relative who has passed, or in our closet, forgotten.  It's time to take these treasures, get them out and finish them!  

Quilt it Done with Debbie

 

https://youtu.be/C4wHJY4WPP4  




Comments