Civil War Heroine Barbara Frietchie has a Poem and Quilt Square in her Honor



Barbara Frietchie Quilt Block
This is my Barbara Frietchie Quilt Square that I made 25 years ago.  Ever since I heard about Barbara and read the poem written about her by John Greenleaf Whittier, I was taken by her story.  Like most things that are from long ago, there is debate and doubters on the truthfulness of her story.  But I believe!  She has an honorable story and the men listened to her and respected her bold gall to honor her country even in the midst of Civil War battle.

"Shoot if you must, this old gray head, but spare your country's flag; she said"

Here above is some of my favorite Civil War fabric and the Barbara Frietchie Quilt Square that I made 25 years ago.  It is framed up in a 12" x 12" wooden frame. Click on this link  to hear the poem read out loud.

Barbara's Images are of an older woman who appears to have lived a long and hard life.  She must have had spunk and determination, to have survived the harsh life during the early times of our nation.  Her character is remembered and she models strength. There may be others, but I can't think of another woman who has that honor of a famous poem and quilt design named after her.

Comments