1930's Bow Tie Fan Wall Hanging with Buttons



This Bow Tie Fan 1930's quilt is hanging in my quilt room.  I found it in a local Portland Oregon antique store.  I couldn't help myself, I had to have it!  It is common to fine a Bow-Tie Quilt or a Fan quilt from this era.  But to find a combination of the two, is a rare find.  Also, to find a quilt this size, 3ft x 5 1/2ft,
 with button hangers, I knew it was originally meant for a hanging and not for everyday use on a bed.  
The 6 buttons are original 30's era and a fun detail of how it is to be displayed.
The loops that are hand sewn onto the back and fastened  in the front with a button is a perfect fit around a curtain rod.  

I found the perfect rod at Target of all places!  It has glass door knobs at each end and compliment the age of this quilt. I usually  long-arm quilt and repair the older quilts that I find.  This one has blue yarn ties and I decided to leave it in the original state instead of re-working the construction.     






I pinned the quilt over so you can see the back fabric.  Another way to finish than using the traditional muslin.
This great vintage industrial electric fan carries the Handy Breeze name.

The fan was made by the Chicago Electric Manufacturing Co. The base and motor housing are a heavy cast iron, the cage and blades steel. The body is  painted in steel gray, the steel blade is painted slate blue,  with the  "Handy Breeze" button in the center.  This dates to the 1950's,  I saw this in another antique store here in Portland.  I was determined that if it worked, I needed it for my quilting room.  At the front desk, we plugged it in and to my surprise, it ran great with the perfect hum!  So now, it keeps the room cool while quilting on warm sunny days.
This 3 drawer dresser holds my long-arm thread.  The topper is a flour sack and below is just how flour sacks were used in the 1930's.  Practical fabric used for practical times.                           The Depression Years.
From 1930's flour sacks to quilts and clothes for the family.  Such a practical use for Depression Era when resources where hard to come by!

Comments