Lewis and Clark Quilt for the North West

I made a quilt for my dad and I wanted it to have a masculine, North West, Autumn feel to the design.  This is my first Mural Quilt and I think it turned out perfect!
The body of the quilt has 2 borders around the Mural of Lewis, Clark, Pocahontas, and Baby Baptiste, who are looking at Mount Hood in the distance.
Just the Body of this quilt measures 
out to be 44" x 51"

I wanted to show the over all quilt before looking at each section in detail.  The Green Border is 5 inches with a 
7 inch Rustic Red Border. 

This is the Upper Right Corner of the Mural. It mainly consists of pine cones and needles.  Consistent with the conifer trees of the Mount Hood National Forest, just East of Portland Oregon.  

Here is the Upper Left portion of the Lewis and Clark Mural. Even though the Western Meadowlark is the Oregon State Bird, there are many birds in the North West that can be represented here.  They seem to be circling around a Clouded Sun with more Pine Cones and Needles.
Out featured Trio with Baby Baptiste are waling a trail and looking on to Mount Hood.  Their courage and willingness to explore, opened up the new country and encouraged others to later, brave the Oregon Trail to make a new life in Oregon Country.
The fourth part of the Lewis and Clark Mural Quilt is a great view of Mount Hood with a path that winds though a treed forest.

On the 5 inch green border, I stitched a Pine Cone at each corner that is pointing inward to the mural body of the quilt. You can also see the Acorn and Leaves pattern that is on the outer 7 inch border.

This is one of the sash patterns that I repeated along the 5 inch green border.  It is simple but gives a good frame to the business of the quilt body.  Since I wanted to make sure the stitching showed up on the green fabric, I switched the green thread from the stitched mural, to a creamy natural thread color.

I flipped the quilt back on itself to show the green backing and how the creamy natural thread really shows off the border stitching .  It is perfect for a Autumn Quilt!
Binding is the finishing touch of the quilt!  Since the double borders are from darker fabric, I took a chance and put chose a lighter fabric to frame and finish this quilt.  Normally, I always choose a darker, complimenting fabric for my binding.     

But, I'm happy how this turned out!


Comments