I'M RETURNING TO THE THINGS THAT I LOVE AFTER CANCER

 
I have been gone from my blog for awhile.  About 1 1/2 years ago, I knew something wasn't right with me, health-wise.  I kept returning to my Doctor, but we weren't  figuring it out.  Finally, last Fall, an answer that I wasn't expecting, breast cancer.  But, at least I had something to focus on instead of wondering why I had lack of energy and lost of focus on the things that I love.
 I made a major shift in my professional life, moving from 15 years in Mental Health on the night shift, to days during the week in a different department within Providence Hospital and Health Systems, here in Portland Oregon.  This has reduced my stress level in a major way!  I have gone through 3 surgeries and have one more this Summer.  My Doctors say that my cancer is finally gone, and we are in the reconstruction phase.  I also am on 5 years of monitoring by my Oncologist with medication that give me Hot Flashes 24/7 and hopefully my hair won't  thin out too much.  I have had the support of my Family and Friends to Love Me through all of this.  I am a Blessed Woman!







 One of the things that I am looking forward to doing, is getting back to my quilting!  It has been such a big part of my life.  Now that I am in my 50's, I realize that, Life is Short and I still have things that I want to Do!  But, I also have things that I want to continue to grow in, like returning to my Craft of Quilting!  It is like an Old Friend that I can't wait to see again.  There is so much creativity and attention to detail, that comes out in my work, that I find so rewarding.  I can't wait to spend time quilting away!



 When I find older quilt tops that need to be completed, I have a drive and desire, to  restore, redesign, or re-purpose, them.   This gives me satisfaction and inspiration because I believe that they deserve to be finished and enjoyed. 

My first project, on my way back to doing the thing I love, quilting, is to re-purpose this older 1930's quilt.  I will quilt this top up with red thread and a Christmas Holly design.  Then cut into Christmas Stockings and serge them together with a red quilted cuff.  I can't wait to get upstairs to my new sewing room and create!






 I want to say a big Thank You to my husband, parents, children, Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and close Girl-Friends,  for all your support. I love you all and wouldn't have made it through this past 1 1/2 years without you!

Comments

LIB said…
So glad you're back to creating! Will love seeing both the process and the finished products!