Flannel Fly Fishing Quilt

Click on my YouTube Short for this quilt!


    This Flannel Fly Fishing Quilt was brought in by a customer with the Fly-Fishing Theme 

in her fabric choices.  The person who was to receive this quilt apparently is an avid fly-

fisherman.  Fortunately, my favorite long-arm digital stitch designer, Kim Diamond of 

Sweet Dreams Quilt Studios” had several fishing continuous stitch patterns to choose 

from.  If you have not looked at Kim Diamond’s web site for stitching designs, here is her 

link.

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/

 

As a general note, if I am looking for a stitching design for a particular quilt that I am 

working on, I always search in Kim’s stitching collection.  For one reason, her design work 

always stitches out without issues, on my Gammill Statler Stitcher.  For a second reason, 

Kim holds a long and strong collaboration and friendship with the owners-designers of the 

long-arm Statler that I use.  I hold their relationship in awe and want to honor their years of 

collaborating together.  Loyalty and trust actually stand for something.  Also, I know that 

when I stich out one of Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio’s patterns, I will get amazing results.

For this Fly-Fishing quilt I used: 

https://sweetdreamsquiltstudio.com/edge-edge/fishing-pano-006-p-15392.html 

fishing pano 006  If this is not your choice for a fly-fishing stitch pattern, Kim has 34 choices when you search for “fishing” at her web site.  



A fun note to make here is the flannel fish backing fabric.  This view is showing the backing fabric as it rolls up on the back frame bar.  As I quilt a project, I roll the fabric sandwich (back fabric-batting-top pieced quilt) at the top of the frame. You can see the bottom fabric with each turn of the roller-bar.  I like to inspect the bottom thread tension with each roll since this is the first time I can really get a good look at the back-side of the quilt during the long-arm-stitching process.  This is a good time to adjust the top or bottom thread tension to make sure the thread is stitching with even tension.   


    From the back side of my quilting frame, I have a clear view of the thread and its tension. I am always 

double-checking the backing fabric as I look at the quilt from behind the Top-Frame-Scroll-Bar. 

    At the end of each stitched row, I walk around the back of the frame to inspect my stitching and 

check the “plumb” or straightness of the quilt body.  Not every quilt that I work on has straight lines 

and is perfectly “plumb” from all 4 edges.  But that is perfectly ok!  As I stitch each row, I have the 

opportunity to bring each quilt back into “plumb” if need be.  



This view below is the front of the quilt from the bottom of the quilting frame.  This is my view when I am standing and quilting.  I flipped over the quilt-sandwich to show the complimentary flannel fish with black background.


Another quilt completed.

Bring your quit top in to me and

Quilt it Done with Debbie! 

Sew, let's get going!

 

Visit me on YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/@jewellscustomquilting938

https://www.instagram.com/jewellscustomquilting/

https://www.facebook.com/jewellscustomquilting/

 




Comments